Art City Austin Festival 2013
Show Dates: 4/13/13 - 4/14/13
Application Deadline: 1/4/13
The application deadline has passed.
(a booth shot is required)
Place: Downtown Austin, TX in the 2ND Street Retail and Shopping District
Time: Saturday, April 13: 10 am-6 pm, Sunday, April 14: 11 am-6 pm
Admission: Available at the door--$8 Adults, Children 12 and under free
Communication: Mailing Address: Art Alliance Austin, PO Box 5705, Austin, TX 78763
WHY ART CITY AUSTIN?
Art City Austin Festival takes place in the heart of downtown Austin and in the 2ND Street Retail and Shopping District. In the past year alone, over 500 residential units have been added in downtown – and all are within 3 blocks of the festival site. This unprecedented growth in Austin has the city ranked as the 2nd fasted growing metro in the nation! Art City Austin Festival takes advantage of this growth by positioning itself in the heart of it all. We invite you to meet your collectors in Austin!
In excess of 25,000 art enthusiasts from the region and nation are expected at the 62nd annual Art City Austin Festival.
Art City Austin Festival is presented by Art Alliance Austin, a non-profit organization with a full time professional staff, Board of Directors and more than 800 community volunteers. Proceeds from the event provide funding for artist and community programs.
Quotes from 2011 artists:
"I cannot say enough good things about the entire show, staff and the hospitality."
"All in all, I was very pleased with the show, the city, and the people of Austin. You did an amazing job of bringing people to the event. They showed in huge volume and sales were excellent. Thank you."
Make it a Texas Tour! Save on gas and travel expenses by visiting multiple Texas shows!
- Bayou City in Houston - March 23-25
- ART CITY AUSTIN in Austin - April 13-14
- Main Street in Fort Worth - April 18-21
- Drive-up access for booth loading and unloading and ample storage space behind booths.
- Nearby hotel accommodations and support services (restaurants, gas stations, shopping).
- Central location with plentiful public parking.
- $1,000 cash award for Best in Show 2-D and 3-D. and automatic acceptance into Art City Austin 2014. $100 cash award for Best in media winners and automatic acceptance in Art City Austin 2014.
- Check-in package, continental breakfasts, artist reception, hospitality area, and booth sitters.
- Extensive local and regional marketing. Free festival map highlighting participating artists.
- 24-hour on-site security (Austin Police Department!).
KEY DATES FOR EXHIBITORS
NOTE: We have extended deadline due to Holidays and recent current events.
Friday January 4, 2012 (midnight CST): Deadline to apply. $40 jury fee must be received at this time.
Monday, January 14, 2013: Artists notified via email of selection and wait list.
Friday, February 15, 2013: Artist reply of acceptance and booth fee and booth request deadline
Wednesday, February 20, 2013: Last day to cancel and receive a 90% refund of the booth fee.
Thursday, March 1, 2013: NO Refunds processed after this date.
Thursday, March 15, 2013: Artist location and information packets sent via email.
Friday, April 12, 2013: Artist Check-In begins at 7:00pm and set up begins AFTER 7:00pm.
April 13-14, 2013: 2013 Art City Austin Festival
Artists may apply once per category, a maximum of two. Collaborating artists may apply to participate at the event, but only their joint work may be shown and sold. Both names must appear on all application materials and both artists must contribute to the creation of the art pieces. Art Alliance Austin reserves the right to refuse any application. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Jury Fee: $40 Non-refundable check(s) or on-line MC or VISA payment to Art Alliance Austin for each medium to be exhibited. Must be a separate payment submitted with application. Fee deposited upon receipt.
Booth Fee: Accepted artists will submit booth fee check(s) or on-line MC or VISA payment to Art Alliance Austin with their response form.
- $650 - Booth Space: 10’x12’: 10’x10’ Tent with no outside pegs or ropes and lighting systems provided by artist.
- $1100 - Double Booth Space: A limited number of double booth spaces will be available. Double booth space assignments will be made based on earliest date of this application.
- $150 - End Booth Supplement: End booth space assignments will be made based on earliest date of this application.
- $40 - Electricity Supplement: Includes 500 watts of electricity. Booths are NOT required to be lit.
NOTE: A 90% booth refund will be granted if requested in writing before February 1, 2013. No refunds will be made after March 1, 2013.
Taking into consideration the comments from past Art City Austin artists we will reduce the size of the festival-grounds in 2013 to best exhibit the works of participating artists.
This, in addition to the rising costs associated with our downtown location, is the reason for the increase in fees from 2012 to 2013.
Five (5) images are to be submitted for each individual media category entered by the artist.
Four (4) images must be of individual pieces of work. Image number 5 must be a display of the artist’s work, showing the overall continuity and presentation of your current body of work. The fifth image is mandatory.
If a booth image per se is not available, submit an image taken of a grouping of works representative of the works to be exhibited at the show. The purpose of the booth image is to demonstrate how the artist displays their work.
NOTE: This is a blind jury process; please avoid submitting booth images with any identifiable sign, or photo of the artist themselves.
Contact Maxwell Russell at email@example.com if you need assistance with your application.
APPLICATION MEDIA CATEGORIES
2-D MIXED MEDIA: Original work incorporating more than one material.
3-D MIXED MEDIA: Original 3- dimensional work incorporating more than one material.
CERAMICS: Original clay work. No machine made or mass produced work is accepted. Each item must be signed.
FIBER: Original work of primarily fiber including soft sculpture, batik, painted fabric and baskets.
GLASS: Original work in which the primary material is glass. No manufactured molds or other forms of mass production allowed.
GRAPHICS/PRINTMAKING/DRAWING: Original works made with pen, pencil,
charcoal or traditional printmaking. Prints hand pulled by artists from traditional methods, including etching, engraving, silkscreen, stone and plate lithography, linoleum block or woodcut, produced in signed and numbered limited editions from an original image created by the artist.
JEWELRY: Original jewelry made from precious and non-precious metals, gemstones, enamel, glass, clay, fiber, etc. No mass production techniques allowed.
METALWORK: Includes all non sculptural, non jewelry works crafted from metals.
PAINTING: Original painted works made with oils, acrylics, watercolors, or pastels.
PHOTOGRAPHY/DIGITAL ART: Prints from original negatives must be processed by the artist or under artist's supervision.
SCULPTURE: Original non-functional, 3-dimensional work of any material.
WOODWORK: Original woodwork, hand tooled, carved, or machine worked.
ABOUT THE JURY PROCESS
Art City Austin Festival selects 125 artists to participate through a blind jury process. Ninety percent (90%) of the artist spaces are selected through the jury process. The previous year’s winners are automatically accepted. The jury consists of local art experts, including museum curators, university professors, gallery owners and local artists. Jurors will score each applicant up to seven points, scoring 1 through 7, with 4 excluded. The image description information provided by the artist will be made available to the jury upon request. The decision of the jury is based solely on the images and is final. A wait-list of additional artists is used for replacement purposes.
An art reproduction is a copy of an original art work using photographic means, most often using off set lithography, ink jet printing, or electrostatic means (copier). 2D reproductions are allowed provided they are:
- Labeled as reproductions (stickers provided by Art Alliance Austin)
- Displayed in one bin only
- Explanation of the reproduction process (provided by Art Alliance Austin)must be displayed on the bin
- No reproductions may be hung
- On-site Standards Committee will enforce this policy
WORK ON DISPLAY
- All work exhibited on booth walls must be original handcrafted work produced by the artist and may not be the result of work by an assistant, or from commercial kits, molds, patterns, plans, prefabricated forms or other commercial methods.
- Tapes/CDs of instruments made by the artist may be sold along with an instrument, but not alone.
- Artists may only exhibit and sell work in the media category for which they are accepted.
- All jewelry must have been juried in the jewelry category.
- The work exhibited must match the quality and style as represented by the artist in his or her submitted images
- Non-original promotional items (i.e. postcards, photocopies, notecards, posters, mousepads, etc.) are not permitted to be displayed or sold at the festival
- Accepted artists are required to display an artist’s Statement in a prominent place within their booth throughout the duration of the festival.
ON-SITE REQUIREMENTS, SET-UP AND SALES
- Artists must be present during the entire event and must personally staff their exhibit space.
- Artists must sign a liability release form before gaining access to the festival site.
- Artists must obtain a Texas Sales Tax Permit
- No agents, dealers, or representatives may attend the event in place of the artist.
- Each artist is required to show photo identification at check-in.
- Assistance from festival staff will not be available for booth set-up.
- No commission on sales will be charged.
BOOTH SPACE AND SETUP
Space locations are assigned in advance by Art Alliance Austin, and the use of a location is restricted to the artist to whom it is assigned. Locations are subject to change.
Each exhibitor will be provided a space measuring 11’ deep by 10’ wide, with extra storage behind. End booths or double booths may be available for a higher fee (see "Fees" section). The event takes place on a paved surface which prohibits anchoring any supports into the ground. Exhibitors are responsible for providing racks, tables, display units or other fixtures suitable for outdoor use. Not all booth locations are perfectly level due to slight street surface variations. Exhibitors are advised to bring leveling devices for table displays. Exhibitors MUST be prepared for any inclement weather including the possibility of high winds, with appropriate rain covers, tie-downs and weights. A minimum of 200 lbs. of weight must be applied to EVERY tent on site. A team will visit your booth during set up, and additional weights may be rented at that time if 200 lb. minimum is not met.
About Art Alliance Austin
Mission: Through dynamic collaboration with artists, inclusive engagement of the community, and passionate devotion of our members, Art Alliance Austin is a catalyst for art. We exist to enrich and endow the cultural landscape as well as to promote the participation in visual art through the production of our suite of annual events - which culminate in our anticipated juried outdoor art festival: Art City Austin.
Community Service: Since 1956, Art Alliance Austin has raised more than $2 million dollars for the Austin Museum of Art and the Blanton Museum of Art through its annual arts festival. Today, the organization has more than 200 members who volunteer their time to organize Art City Austin and other community events.
Thank you for your interest! We hope to host you in Austin!