Tulsa International Mayfest 2017
Downtown Tulsa on Main Street
Tulsa, Oklahoma (South)
Show Dates: 5/18/17 - 5/21/17
Application Deadline: 2/3/17 Midnight CST
The application deadline has passed.
(a booth shot is required)
Fee (Application Fee): $35.00
You can submit up to 5 applications for this show.
Tulsa International Mayfest is now seeking applicants from fine artists and crafts people wishing to show at Mayfest. Surrounded by Tulsa’s historic downtown which features world- renowned art deco buildings, the BOK Center and a vibrant night life. In 2017, Mayfest will be celebrating its 45th year and has several special events planned. In 2016 artist sales increased during Tulsa International Mayfest. Created to promote the visual and musical arts, our four-day Tulsa tradition invites approximately 100 fine artists and 25 craftspeople to exhibit their work. Entries are professionally judged according to strict guidelines.
Mayfest is an outdoor tribute to the arts that is a family-oriented event created to promote a broader knowledge of and appreciation for visual and musical arts among serious, as well as casual art lovers. Tulsa International Mayfest is making plans to stage Tulsa's first festival of the festival season, Tulsa International Mayfest 2017, May 18-21.
Mayfest will feature a variety of arts including dance, music and visual arts. Always one of the major highlights of spring, Mayfest 2017 will be planned to encompass some of the very best in both the visual and performance arts.
Submission Criteria – Juried and Market:
- Submit a total of five pictures. (Artists are asked to use the copyright or other symbol to protect the images of their artwork.)
- The panel of judges will make their decisions based solely on the submitted pictures.
A non-refundable processing fee of $35 is required.
- Artwork is judged by 3 jurors and is highly competitive. Each category is juried blindly and separately and scores are based on creativity, design and execution. Applications will not be juried unless all requested information is completed, including a description of materials or process explanation of each image.
- Only original, handmade work by the entrant will be considered for judging.
- One-of-a-kind, multiples, series or limited editions must be signed and numbered by the artist.
- The art must be an original concept thought of and created by the artist.
- Offset prints will be allowed, but must be limited to 20% of the artist’s inventory and be placed in a bin or portfolio with each item marked “reproduction.”
- All booths must be open for business during all business hours: Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Sunday 11a.m. to 6p.m.
- Mayfest reserves the right to request an artist leave the show, in its sole judgment, when the art does not conform to show guidelines.
- Photographs submitted for jurying must represent at least 90% of the artist’s work. If entire inventory does not comply, artist will be asked to leave the show with no refund.
The following are not acceptable in the juried area:
- Commercially produced works.
- Commercially molded ceramics, sculpture or jewelry; items made from kits, assembled from pre-manufactured components or inclusions from supply catalogs.
- Leather works showing patterns that are machine tooled or machine screened. No buckles sold separately unless handcrafted by the artist selling them.
Award categories are judged on merit and outstanding achievement, regardless of the chosen medium. Awards are given based on the artist’s overall presentation and are determined by on-site judging held on the first day of Mayfest. Artists must be present to be considered for the awards. Winners of Mayfest 2017 will be automatically accepted to participate at Mayfest 2018 unless the artist’s medium changes. The medium which receives the Best of Show will have no additional winner for Best of Medium. All categories not represented by Best of Show selection will have one $300 award each, unless the judges are not able to find an outstanding artist in a particular medium. In such case, we reserve the right not to award a prize in that medium.
Best of Show - $1,500 (1 Award Winner in their category)
Best of Medium - $300 (1 Award per Medium)
The Mayfest Market accommodates approximately 25 artists. This art is selected by the Visual Arts Committee and is designed to give artists, craftsmen and the attending public an alternative to the Juried Fine Art. This area will feature such items as toys, folk art, hand-painted T-shirts, leather goods, calligraphy, etc. The criteria includes creativity, execution and style with consideration given to marketability and show balance. All arts and crafts media will be permitted, but must be the original handcrafted work of the artist/entrant.
January 31, 2017 Application deadline
February 24, 2017 Notification*
March 31, 2017 All Fees and Contracts Due
April 15, 2017 Written cancellations deadline for refunds
May 18, 2017 Tulsa International Mayfest
If you have any comments or questions about Tulsa International Mayfest please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each artist must supply Evidence of Commercial General Liability with limits of coverage no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 in aggregate for bodily injury and property damage.
- All artists must personally attend their exhibit for the entire run of Mayfest. No agents, representatives or family members may attend in place of the artist. ID will be required at check-in.
- Each artist understands that no commercially produced works; commercially molded ceramics, sculpture or jewelry, items made from kits or assembled from pre-manufactured components or inclusions will be allowed to exhibit.
- Twenty-four hour police protection will be provided on the festival grounds. However, neither Tulsa International Mayfest nor the City of Tulsa assume responsibility for loss, damage, or theft of work or display materials, or for personal injury. Storage is available. We strongly recommend that all artwork/craftwork be removed each night of the festival to avoid unnecessary problems. Storage space will be provided.
- Only one artist may exhibit in any given space.
- Each artist is responsible for charging, collecting and properly remitting all applicable Oklahoma state and city taxes.
- On opening day, any no-show space will be filled only by artists who applied and were notified of being on the Alternate List.
- Space assignment will be made by the Visual Arts Committee on a first come, first served based on the date the booth fee is paid. No artist may move their space assignment without prior approval of Tulsa International Mayfest. Tulsa International Mayfest reserves the right to make booth assignments changes as it deems necessary.
- Artists agree that images and artist information submitted through Zapp may be used by the festival for promotional purposes before, during and/or after the festival is over. Artists should use the copyright or other symbol to protect the images of their artwork.
STRUCTURE: Artists are not permitted to use light-weight accordion style pop-up tents and each tent must be weighted and braced properly to ensure the highest degree of safety to themselves as well as their neighbor and guests. For specific questions or concerns regarding tents, please contact Debby Raskin, Visual Artist Chair, at email@example.com.
- Mayfest provides a 10’x10’ ground space and a 1 AMP/120-volt load of electricity. Due to limited electrical resources, overuse of electricity will not be permitted.
- Display units should be designed for outdoor use and be capable of withstanding the elements and crowds, and must be contained in the 10’x10’ area provided.
- A $350 rental fee and signed contract are due upon notification of acceptance to Mayfest.
- Each artist is expected to provide their own display unit, canopy and lighting fixtures.
- Generators are not permitted.