Lenexa Art Fair 2017
Lenexa City Center, 87th Street Parkway and Renner Boulevard
Lenexa, Kansas (Midwest)
Event Dates: 5/13/17 - 5/13/17
Application Deadline: 1/18/17 Midnight CST
The application deadline has passed.
(a booth shot is required)
Fee (Non-refundable Application Fee): $25.00
You can submit up to 5 applications for this show.
The City of Lenexa is proud to present the fourth annual Lenexa Art Fair, a one-day juried art show that connects fine artists with the community. The Lenexa Art Fair is set in an outdoor location in the exciting new Lenexa City Center, located in Johnson County, Kan., about 12 miles south of Kansas City, Mo. Lenexa enjoys a healthy business base and is considered a city of choice for high tech and bioscience companies, as well as a number of national and international headquarters. Lenexa has been hailed as one of the best cities to raise kids by Bloomberg BusinessWeek and one of the Top 100 Best Cities to Live, as ranked by CNN/Money Magazine.
Known as the “City of Festivals,” Lenexa is considered a metro leader in organizing exceptional annual events that attract thousands of visitors, such as the annual Great Lenexa Barbeque Battle, Spinach Festival and Chili Challenge. We provide outstanding customer service as our goal is to provide an excellent experience for our exhibitors, vendors and the public.
Event Contact Info
913-477-7100 or email@example.com
Lenexa Parks and Recreation
13420 Oak Street
Lenexa, KS 66215
Show Date and Hours
10 a.m. - 7 p.m., Saturday, May 13, 2017
The Lenexa Art Fair welcomes art exhibitors in the following categories:
- 2D: Painting, Watercolor, Oil, Acrylic, Drawing, Pastel, Photography, Mixed-Media, Printmaking/Graphics, Digital, Other
- 3D: Sculpture, Wood, Metal, Ceramics, Clay, Fiber, Glass, Jewelry, Mixed Media, Stone, Other.
- $500 Prize for Best of Show
- $300 Prizes for First Place in 2D and 3D
- $100 Prize(s) for Honorable Mention (as determined by judges)
- Winners will be automatically invited to the 2018 show
- Security at event
- Welcome goody bag plus free snacks for each artist
- Free bottled water for artists
- Free nearby parking for artists
- Booth sitters to assist during artist breaks
- Drive-up access to booth space for easy loading and unloading
- Promotional materials available to self market
- Artist list on city website for promotion
- No percentage collected; artist keeps sales
- Event advertising and promotion
- Free public admission
- Application available: October 17, 2016
- Application deadline: January 18, 2017
- Jury schedule: January 19 - 31, 2017
- Artist notification: February 7-8, 2017
- Invitation acceptance deadline: March 3, 2017
- Wait list contacted to fill vacancies begins: March 6, 2017
- Booth payment deadline: March 17, 2017
- Last date to cancel and request booth refund: March 17, 2017
- Booth location notification: April 2017
- Artist drop-off of tents, equipment: 4-7 p.m., May 12, 2017
- Artist check-in, setup at event: 7-9 a.m., May 13, 2017
Application and Booth Fees
- Jury application fee: $25 (non-refundable)
- 10x10' Booth Space: $70
- 10x20' Double Booth Space (limited availability): $140
- Corner Space (limited availability): $30 additional
- Electricity at booth (limited availability): $25 (5-10 amps for lighting)
- Please submit 5 photos (one showing your booth setup) with your application showing the type and quality of the work you intend to display. Artists may only show work in categories and types of work approved by the jury. Be sure your photos are of quality and clearly represent your work.
- Artists may apply in multiple categories but a separate application and fee are required for each category. Substantially different work is required for each category. Please create a separate Zapp profile for each category for which you are applying.
- Collaborating artists may apply to participate in the Lenexa Art Fair. Only joint work may be shown and sold. Both artists' names must appear on the application materials, and both artists must contribute to the creation of the art.
- A wait list will be selected to ensure a balanced show. Artists will be notified by email as spaces open.
This show will include approximately 50 artists. All exhibitors will be chosen by a jury comprising 3 highly qualified, experienced fine artists drawn from a pool of curators, gallery operators, art educators and the Lenexa Arts Council. The jury process is a blind process. Artists’ submitted images will be viewed along with their brief description of work. When submitting booth images, please do not include photos showing the artist or the artist's branding. The jury will seek a balance of quality art representing the various categories. The jury process will take place January 19 - 31. Artists who are accepted into the show will receive invitations by email. Artists called from the wait list will be chosen by category as cancellations are received. They will have the opportunity at that time to accept or decline the invitation to the show.
- Artists must be present during the entire event and must personally staff their booth space. No subletting or sharing booth space is allowed. No agents, dealers or representatives may attend the event in place of the artist. Volunteer booth sitters will be available to cover for artists during breaks.
- All artwork in every category must be the original, handcrafted creation of the approved artist (no kits, mass-produced or manufactured items accepted). No non-original promotional items, including postcards, notecards, posters, etc. may be sold in artists’ booths. Artwork exhibited must match the quality and style of work as represented in the jury process. The jury committee reserves the right to refuse display of work that is not consistent with submitted images and the Lenexa Art Fair rules.
- Artists may show only work in categories as approved by the jury. Only artists accepted in the jewelry category may display or sell jewelry. The jury committee reserves the right to remove from display, any artwork or items not in keeping with the event standards and/or substantially different from those images submitted to the jury.
- Artists must define “limited edition” in their Artist Statement, and they must disclose their process to the buyer. Original work must occupy more than 50% of the artist’s booth space. Reproductions of 2-D pieces must be labeled.
- All hanging work(s) must be framed or have finished edges. Prints must be appropriately matted and framed, and must be displayed in a portfolio or stand.
- Photographers must print their own photography or be involved in and oversee the printing process of their work.
- Ceramic works must be handcrafted by the artist. If multiple pieces of the same design are displayed, each must be signed.
- Artists chosen to participate are responsible for collecting and paying applicable taxes for all sales made at the event.
- Artist must comply with all staff and security regarding safety and regulations. Vehicles must be parked only in designated areas; non-compliance will result in elimination from consideration for any future shows.
- Booth spaces are assigned by the Lenexa Art Fair staff and are not interchangeable and may not be transferred or traded.
- Artists may not occupy space outside their assigned booth space.
- The Lenexa Art Show/City of Lenexa may use selected artist images for Art Fair advertising.
- This event is a family-oriented event. Artwork intended for mature audiences will not be considered. On-site representatives will be enforcing this policy throughout the show.
- Refunds will not be given to artists in connection with any disputes that result in the artist being disqualified from appearing at the show, regardless of whether the disqualification occurs before or after the show opens.
Booth Space & Requirements
- Regular booth spaces will be 10x10’ in size for a cost of $70.
- Artists must supply their own tents. Tents must be white.
- Booths have storage space in the back of their assigned spots.
- No stakes allowed; artists must secure tents with weights.
- Limited electrical hookups are available for an additional fee. Electricity must be requested at the time application. Electricity is intended for lighting (5-10 amps will be provided). No radios, coffee pots or other appliances allowed. Generators are not allowed.
- Artist must supply all display materials, screens, chairs, tables, electrical cords, etc. Displays must be professional and aesthetically pleasing. Racks should be covered. Booth risers are not allowed. Handwritten signs and sale signs should be in keeping with the aesthetic quality of the event.
- Please see event layout map attached to this application for the approximate layout of the event. We anticipate artist booths being located on the hard surface, and on the outer edge of the event area. This event is held in the exciting and developing new Lenexa City Center. Some changes to the event area/layout may be necessary due to development, weather or other circumstances as we finalize the layout for the 2017 show. We will keep artists informed of any changes.
Artist Check-in and Setup
Artists may drop off tents and display equipment from 4-7 p.m. on Friday, May 12, 2017. Artist check-in time the day of the event will be from 7-9 a.m. on Saturday, May 13. Event staff will greet you as you arrive, provide you an artists’ packet and direct you to your booth location. Artists may drive to their booth space to unload. All vehicles must be removed from the event area by 9:30 a.m. on May 13.
Security is provided, but the City of Lenexa is not responsible for any damage or loss of work or equipment and supplies due to theft, weather, etc.
The artists’ packet will include your name badge, booth number, and parking pass. Please wear your name badge during festival hours. Place your parking pass on the dashboard of your vehicle (no vehicle will be allowed in the designated vendor parking area without a parking pass).
Lenexa Art Fair does not have an inclement weather date. No refunds will be given due to inclement weather. The event will go on as planned even in rainy or inclement weather conditions. The City of Lenexa reserves the right to cancel the event if necessary due to unsafe conditions. For weather cancellation information, call 913-477-7170.
Artists should anticipate inclement weather and bring rain covers, tie-downs and weights.