Arts in the Middle Fine Arts Show - Spring 2017
Hewick Plantation * Middle Penisula Coastal Virginia
Urbanna, Virginia (South)
Event Dates: 6/3/17 - 6/4/17
Application Deadline: 2/15/17 Midnight EST
The application deadline has passed.
(a booth shot is required)
Fee (Application plus Late Fee): $65.00
The two day Arts in the Middle Fine Arts Show is "a day in the country" for art aficionados from surrounding areas, including urban Richmond, Williamsburg, Tidewater, Northern Virginia & Washington, DC. We have the perfect festival setting at 17th century Hewick Plantation (www.hewickplantation.com) ~ a backdrop of beautiful period buildings, expansive grassy areas, and large trees shading a manicured gravel path through your exhibit area. A short stroll away is the village of Urbanna ~ a lively waterfront destination for visitors arriving by bike, boat, car and/or camper. With a grant from the Virginia Commission for the Arts, regional & local funding, along with corporate sponsorship, our production team has an aggressive advertising campaign of print, radio, web and social media promotions. "Arts in the Middle" is also a featured week-end event for neighboring #1 National Award Winning Bethpage Camp Resort. Enjoy music and local foods in the hospitality tent; an army of friendly volunteers; on-site parking with tent side load/unload; cash prizes; a party for the artists at closing time on Saturday night; and a good size crowd of art lovers. In an area of much to see and do, you may be tempted to make this a “working vacation” in Coastal Virginia. We will be happy to help you. For more info: www.artsinthemiddle.org.
- Important Dates:
- Artist Applications Accepted Beginning: October 15, 2016.
- Application Deadline: January 30, 2017 - with late fee: February 14, 2017
- Notification: March 03, 2017
- Accept/Purchase Deadline: March 30, 2017
- Cancellation Deadline: March 30, 2017
- Support: Our friendly festival team members and volunteers will be on site to assist you throughout the show. Complimentary coffee and pastries will be available on Saturday morning for artists and their assistants. Water will be delivered to your tent periodically throughout the day.
- Parking: Artist and public parking is very close and convenient with golf carts on site for easy access to tents and amenities.
- Amenities: Live music and local food will be situated under the large hospitality tent and along the lane on Artist Row during both days. Overnight security on Saturday Night. Early set-up on Friday afternoon.
- Jurying Process and Awards: Artistic excellence and a well-balanced presentation are criteria for selection of exhibitors. Decisions by a qualified panel of artists are final. Exhibitor’s art will be judged on Saturday afternoon with presentations of cash prizes and purchase awards taking place Saturday evening. Minimum of $2200 in cash prizes.
- Festival Hours: Saturday 10am - 5pm Sunday 11am - 3pm
- Awards Reception and Awards Ceremony: Saturday 5pm - 6:30pm Complimentary
- Student Artists Program: The Student Artist Program of the 2017 Arts in the Middle Fine Arts Show will give talented high-school students a unique opportunity to become personally involved in a fine arts event. Exhibiting artists can interact, as they wish, with student artists during the show and may request the assistance of a student, as appropriate, for help during set up, for breaks, or during particularly busy times. Artists who are juried into the show will be invited to indicate the level of their interest in the Student Artist Program, from part time breaks to full blown two day mentorship.
- Weather: This is a rain or shine event. Be prepared for spring weather, with rain gear for yourself, coverage for your artwork and tools for securing your tent. Tents will be sited under large shade trees for maximum sun protection, but be prepared for some sun exposure.
- Accommodations: For a complete list of available accommodations, discounts, and host home offerings, please visit our website: www.artsinthemiddle.org.
- Media Accepted
- Paintings & Drawings: Oils, acrylics, watercolor, chalk, charcoal, pastels, pencil, wax crayon, and fluid media of inks and washes applyued by pen or brush.
- Jewelry: Jewelry of any material. No commercial casts, kits, molds or production studio work, commercially made beads, commercially available pendants and brooches, loose stones, or catalogue merchandise.
- Ceramics: Original clay and porcelain work other than jewelry.
- Photography: Photographic prints made from the artist's original image, processed and printed by that artist, or under his or her direct supervision, with archival media on acid-free papers. Editions of 100 or fewer signed and numbered. Photographers may be asked to disclose their creative and printing processes.
- Digital Art: Original work for which the base image, or the manipulation of other source material, was executed by the artist using computer software. Work must be in limited editions of 100 or less inclusive of size or format, and signed and numbered on acid-free materials. Traditional photographs taken through a digital camera are in the photography category.
- Graphics/Printmaking: Printed works for which the artist’s hand manipulated the plates, stones, or screens and which have been properly signed and numbered as a limited edition. Printmakers are required to disclose both their creative and printmaking process.
- Sculpture: Clay, Wood, Metal, Fiber
- Mixed Media: Non-sculpturing work incorporating more than one type of physical material or process in its production, e.g, a painted etching or collage combining handmade paper and photography.
- Other Media: Leather; Weaving; Leaded Glass and all fine crafts and arts works considered to be in the Fine Arts category are acceptable.
- Reproductions: Reproductions must be from the Artist’s original work, signed, numbered and labeled as a reproduction. Photochemical reproductions of painting, etc are limited to 10% of display. Photograpny editions limited to 100.
- Not Accepted: No buy/sale in any category. No dealers, agents or other middlemen. No gourmet foods, manufactured items, greenware, kits, or work other than that produced by the exhibitor. No bazaar crafts, crocheting, knitting, decoupage, candles or craft wearing apparel. Final interpretation of commercial status will be made by the Arts in the Middle Administration Committee.
Artwork: All work displayed must be 1) original; 2) created and executed by the displaying artist's; 3) of professional quality and 4) limited to the work of a single artist or two-person collaborative team.
- 4 photos of fine art/craft and 1 booth photo must accompany application
- Art must be original with limited reproductions, as described in general information above.
- No buy / sell items. No representatives or dealers may show.
- Booths remain open and the approved exhibitor(s) must be present during show hours.
- 5.3% sales tax is due to Virginia Department of Taxation
- Artwork reviewed by qualified jurors - all decisions are final.
Enforcement: Artists bringing ineligible items to the show will be required to immediately remove them and risk disqualification. Artists violating the rules of this show or who fail to cooperate with the festival committee will not be permitted to exhibit in this or future Arts in the Middle shows. Please notify the Arts Festival Committee if you see any infractions of the standards.
Weather: We always hope for perfect show weather, but we do monitor weather reports regularly throughout the show and reserve the right to close the show early or at certain points during the show, if necessary, for the protection of our artists and visitors.
Space Fee Schedule:
- Exhibit tents will be on grass under trees that generate a nice breeze. This is usually enough to ward off bugs, but bring bug spray just in case.
- Minimum tent size: 10' x 10'
- Double tent space available.
- Space(s) may be shared by two artists.
- Ample space between tents for storage and public viewing
- Limited corner booths
Set up and Break Down:
- Standard 10' x 10' Tent: $ 165.00 Late Applicants $190.00 (subject to availability)
- 2 Spaces $ 330.00 Late Applicants $355.00 (subject to availability)
- Set-up noon - 5:30 June 2 (for early birds)
- Set-up 6:30 am - 9:30am June 3 (coffee and pastries available)
- Break-down 3:00 pm June 4
- Credit Cards / PayPal via Zapplication
- Checks can be mailed to: Arts in the Middle, P.O. Box 982, Urbanna, VA 23175
- Application also available on our website - www.artsinthemiddle.org.