Mystic Outdoor Art Festival - 60th Annual
2 miles in Historic Downtown Mystic
Mystic, Connecticut (Northeast)
Phone: (860) 572-9578
Show Dates: 8/12/17 - 8/13/17
Application Deadline: 4/15/17 Midnight EST
19 day(s) and 5 hour(s) remaining
(a booth shot is required)
Fee (Jury Fee): $30.00
The oldest festival of its kind in the Northeast, the annual Mystic Outdoor Art Festival, hosted by the Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce, will be celebrating its 60th year on Saturday, August 12 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday, August 13 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. along the streets of Historic Downtown Mystic, CT.
The Mystic Outdoor Art Festival has evolved in many ways from its humble beginnings 60 years ago and now stretches over two miles and attracts over 85,000 visitors ever year. Since its inception, the Mystic Outdoor Art Festival has grown to over 250 artists who come from all corners of the United States and bring more than 100,000 works of art.
Accepted Media Categories: (chose one that best describes the work you are entering)
- Mixed Media
Fine Craft: Crafters will be required to submit a booth shot with images
When applying, you will be required to submit with your application 5 images, including one booth shot. If no booth shot is available or applicable, please designate an image of a piece of work on your artist profile as the booth shot to fufill this requirement or the application will not be accepted.
All images must be formatted to the following specifications in order to upload them successfully into the system. Images not meeting these specifications will return an error message.
Image Preparation and Tutorials
- Recommended Dimensions: 1920 pixels on the longest side.
- Note: To assist artists who do not have images that are 1920 pixels or larger, the system will also accept images that are at least 1400 pixels on the longest side.
- File Format: Save all images as Baseline Standard JPEG. Do not save as a Progressive JPEG.
- File Size: JPEGs must be under 2.0 MB.
- Color space: Save images in RGB color space, preferably sRGB.
For more information about your images and preparing them to upload, please visit our ZAPP® Image Preparation page. For specific help and tutorials with image editing programs and professional photography resources, please visit our ZAPP® Tutorials and Resources page.
How To Find JPEG File Size
1. Close out of your photo editor.
2. Locate the jpeg file saved on your computer.
3. Highlight or select the jpeg file.
4. PC users right click and select Properties. MAC users click on File in the top left corner and scroll down to Get Info.
You will see the final file size. If your file is larger than the recommended file size, re-save to decrease the file size.
How To Re-save to Decrease File Size
1. Re-open the jpeg in PhotoShop or comparable photo editor.
2. Go to Save As and the JPEG Options dialogue box will pop up.
3. Change the Quality setting to 11 or 10 and click OK.
Following these steps will decrease the file size and safely retain the image quality.
Image Re-sizing Tools
Here are two online tools which were designed by ZAPP® users. Either of these tools will re-size images if you don't have access to any photo-editing equipment.
Please contact the Event Director at email@example.com with any issues or the ZAPP Artist Support Team
Artists can contact our artist support team at the information below.
Please read all rules and regulations thoroughly before applying:
- All entrants must submit to jury. Prior participation does not guarantee acceptance into this year's show.
- Booth space and locations are assigned based on the discretion of the Event Director and prior year's assignments do not guarantee the same location. The use of location is restricted to whom it is assigned.
- Applications must be received by April 15, 2017. Applications received after this date will only be reviewed on a space only basis. Absolutely no entries will be accepted after the jury date.
- Notifications will be emailed or mailed by May 6, 2017. No notification by telephone will be given prior to this date.
- Except for a $50 processing fee, the booth fee will be refunded in full if a written cancellation is received by June 12, 2017. Cancellations after this date will NOT be refunded.
- All exhibited work must be the original work of the registered and juried artist and craftsman. Original work must constitute 75% of the display, reproductions must be numbered and signed. The Committee will remove exhibits not in compliance, and artists will not be invited back.
- No work which has been made with commercial kits, molds, patterns, plans, or prefabricated pieces is allowed.
- Work must fit into one of the Media categories on the application to be considered by the jury
- You may not exhibit work purchased from other artists for resale.
- Official show time is Saturday, August 12, 2017 from 10am to 6pm and Sunday, August 13, 2017 from 10am to 5pm.
- Setup time is from 6am until 10am on Saturday. All setup must be completed by 10am on Saturday. No exceptions.
- Absolutely no early setup. Town ordinances require setup after dawn on August 12 and teardown at dusk by August 13. Early breakdown is unacceptable.
- Artists are not allowed to break down their booths early on either date without prior permission. Artists who do so will not be invited back for the following year.
- Exhibitors may leave their booths intact Saturday night, however, with limited security, Mystic Outdoor Art Festival and the Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce are not responsible for damage or theft to booths, property, art, vehicles, etc.
- Exhibitors cannot block entrances to businesses and those setting up near churches are urged to accommodate worshippers on Sunday before noon. Do not block access to walkways.
- Each participant is preassigned a 10' x10' space. Racks must be able to withstand crowds and winds.
- Booths set up in the street must comply with depth restriction per order of the Fire Marshall. Artists must be prepared to straddle the sidewalk.
- Due to the nature of a sidewalk show, space and layout is not an exact science. Reference markings in problem areas will be in place.
- Compliance with exhibit size limits will be strictly enforced. Nonconforming booths will be removed and/or artists will not be invited back. No artwork may be displayed on the back or sides of the booth.
- Electric lights or any other appliances in exhibit area are prohibited.
- Exhibits must be tended to by artists at all times. Committee volunteers are available to provide 15 minute "rest breaks" depending on availability of volunteers.
- Artists are responsible for setup and breakdown of their own booth spaces. Assistance with booths is not provided unless specific circumstances have been negotiated with the GMCC prior to the Festival date.
- Show goes on rain or shine unless the police or fire chief deem it unsafe.
- Decisions of the Mystic Outdoor Art Festival in regard to jury selection, awards and space allocations are final.
- Official Mystic Outdoor Art Festival credentials and tax ID must be clearly displayed at all times.
- To obtain a tax ID number, go to www.ct.gov/drs. In search bar at top right, type “Vendors at Flea Markets”. Click first link “DRS: Vendors at Flea Markets” and follow registration information. Either fill out the application electronically or send the form to:
Department of Revenue Services
P.O. Box 2937
Hartford, CT 06104-2937
If you do not yet have a CT Tax ID number, apply for one & then send in your application indicating that the CT Tax ID number is pending.
Jury Fee: $30, payable at time of application
Single Booth Fee: $295 each, payable upon show acceptance following jury in May
Double Booth: $590, payable upon show acceptance following jury in May
- Applications must be received by April 15, 2017 accompanied by a jury fee of $30. Applications received after this date will only be reviewed on a space only basis. Absolutely no entries will be accepted after the jury date.
- Notifications of acceptance and invitation to the show will be emailed or mailed by May 6, 2017. No notification by telephone will be given prior to this date. Artists must accept the invitation accompanied by appropriate booth fees by June 3, 2017. No booth fees will be collected before the jury date,
- Except for a $50 processing fee, the booth fee will be refunded in full if a written cancellation is received by June 15, 2017. Cancellations after this date will NOT be refunded.
In compliance with recent public safety protocol mandated by local law enforcement agencies, the layout of the Mystic Outdoor Art Festival will be modified for 2017. Booth assignments and locations will be subject to change in 2017. Notifications will be forthcoming for any artists who may be impacted by the mandated changes. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.