APPLY TO THIS SHOW
BACK TO PARTICIPATING EVENTS
Sidewalk Arts Festival 2017
Washington Pavilion - 301 South Main Avenue - Downtown Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls, South Dakota (Midwest)
Phone: 605-367-7397 ext. 2348
Event Dates: 9/9/17 - 9/9/17
Application Deadline: 5/26/17 Midnight CST
57 day(s) and 9 hour(s) remaining
Images: 4 (a booth shot is required)
Fee (Jury Fee): $25.00
You can submit up to 3 applications for this show.
The Sidewalk Arts Festival is a FREE outdoor event with over 250 vendor booths featuring the region’s best fine art, folk art and craft artisans. Enjoy activities for kids, live entertainment, food vendors and more on the streets surrounding the Washington Pavilion! This festival is a fundraiser for the Visual Arts Center of the Washington Pavilion and the region’s largest one-day arts festival.
Sidewalk Arts Festival – Saturday, September 9, 2017
Downtown Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The mission of the Sidewalk Arts Festival is to provide a free community arts event where people can shop, eat, and enjoy music. The Children’s Studio features fun activities for kids and their families. Our Festival is designed to attract a variety of quality fine art and handmade craft selected by qualified jurors to promote artists and their work. The proceeds directly fund the Visual Arts Center at the Washington Pavilion.
FUN FESTIVAL FACTS
• Over 40,000 shoppers each year
• Free entrance for shoppers
• Live entertainment throughout the festival
• Large Food Court
• Friendly staff and great vendor hospitality
• Located in historic downtown Sioux Falls
• Wide variety of vendors
COMMENTS FROM ARTISTS' EVALUATIONS:
"The shoppers are very courteous and friendly. It is a great town. Business is good there. It is a fun show to work."
"Great turnout, very well advertised, big variety of vendors."
"It's well organized, information is complete and accurate. Great attendance. Supports a good cause."
“Amazing hospitality. Very well communicated with. Great music, food & people. Wonderful exposure/opportunity.”
“Great one day show.”
"Attendance at this event is fabulous – it is well-known in the area!"
"I love that it's free and one day. My customers love coming to it."
"The show is always well advertised and draws an awesome crowd, and it is a very well put together show with good organizers and volunteers."
"Great town, great people, great arts, great music, great food!"
Downtown Sioux Falls: on the streets surrounding the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science. Enjoy art, food, and entertainment in the heart of the city.
Show Date: Saturday, September 9, 2017
Show Hours: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
ZAPPlication Online Application Process Opens: February 1, 2017
Application deadline (ZAPP online application): 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time, May 26, 2017
• 3 photos of art/craft
• 1 booth photo
• No buy-sell allowed - must be hand-crafted/designed
INVITATION TO EXHIBIT/BOOTH FEES
Artists will be notified of jury results via email in early July. Results will not be given over the phone or sent in the mail. An artist who is selected by the jury and accepts the invitation to exhibit must MAIL their fees (booth, electricity, etc.) by June 30, 2017. Failure to respond by the deadline may result in forfeiture of booth.
Electricity is available on a first-come-first-served basis and is limited. Electricity must be ordered in advance and is $40. Triplexes each provide 110 volts 15 amps total (to be shared between three vendors). You are responsible for bringing your own 100 ft. extension cord.
• The jury will review each artist’s set of images.
• The image information statement and image descriptions provided on the application will be made available to the jury.
• Each artist is scored by jury members on a scale of 1-5. The top score being 5 and the lowest score being 1.
• Decisions of the jury panel are final.
The jury will use the following standards to guide their decisions in accepting artists:
• Work is original and made by hand
• Work is well-designed/composed
• Work is well-conceived, expertly executed without technical faults
• Works shows creativity and originality of design
Points are awarded based on originality of work shown, salability, and a desire to keep the media in the show balanced. The artist's statement, price range, process, materials used and dimensions will be available to the jury panel to aid in the scoring process. The Sidewalk Arts Festival will notify all applicants whether accepted, rejected or on the waiting list.
IMAGES FOR JURY
Please submit four (4) images. Three of the images must be of individual pieces of work, and one image must be of your current display booth. Images must portray work that is current, original and representative of the work you will display and sell on site at the Festival.
If a booth image is not available, submit an image taken of a grouping of works representative of the works to be exhibited at the show. The purpose of the booth image is to ensure the artist has a complete body of work which is represented both in the first three images and also within the fourth image. It also helps identify the scale of the artist's work.
Because this is a blind jury process, please avoid submitting booth images with any identifiable signage or a photo of artist themselves.
1. BEST in SHOW – $400
2. BEST in SHOW – Two-Dimensional $200
3. BEST in SHOW – Three-Dimensional $200
The giving of the awards will be based upon the artistic merit of the artwork. The prizes will be awarded at the sole discretion of the juror(s).
*Entry into the Sidewalk Arts Festival Fine Art Competition is restricted to artists whose booths are registered under the Fine Art section only. No photocopies, off-set lithographic reproductions, or giclee reproductions will be considered. No ceramics made from molds will be judged. No artworks produced from kits will be judged. Original artworks are definted for the purposes of this judging as drawings, paintings, sculptures, ceramics, glass, photographs, original handmade prints (such as etchings, engravings, serigraphs, lithographs, etc.), and original fiber art, as well as other forms of mixed media work that would be considered Fine Art.
Each artist is responsible for collecting and paying South Dakota sales tax (8% for arts/crafts for this event). Tax forms will be mailed prior to the festival. It is the responsibility of each artist to return payment to the South Dakota Tax Revenue Service.
Ceramic: original clay and porcelain work; excludes jewelry. No machine-made or mass-produced work is permitted.
Drawing: two-dimensional works in pencil, chalk, pastel, charcoal, pen and/or ink. Limited edition prints are accepted in editions of 500 or less, provided each is individually signed and numbered.
Fiber/Textiles: work crafted from fiber including fabric and paper; includes handmade clothing and clothing with surface design. All works must be designed and executed by the artist. No mass-produced work or buy-sell items are permitted; excludes jewelry.
Furniture: works created as furniture in any media; no mass-produced works or kits.
Glass: works made of glass that have been crafted by glass blowing, molding, casting or kiln-forming; excludes jewelry.
Health/Beauty: handmade products including soaps, lotions, etc.
Home/Decor: handmade products that are decorative or functional for the home.
Jewelry: metal, glass, clay, fiber, paper, plastic or other materials are accepted. All works must be designed and executed by the artist and must have been juried in the Jewelry medium. No machine-made or mass-produced work is permitted.
Leather: any work handcrafted from leather; excludes jewelry.
Metal: original work created through the forging, twisting and fabricating of various metals; excludes jewelry.
Mixed Media 2D & 3D: two- and three-dimensional works that incorporate more than one type of physical material in their production.
Music: includes live performances/demonstrations, original CDs and handmade instruments.
Other: all works of art or crafts that do not fall into the categories listed. Original work/designs only. No machine-made or mass-produced work is permitted.
Painting: two-dimensional works in paint including acrylic, oil, watercolor, etc. Limited edition prints are accepted in editions of 500 or less, provided each is individually signed and numbered.
Photography: photographic prints created from the artist’s original negatives or digital files that have been processed by the artist.
Pre-packaged Food: all pre-packaged foods. Sampling of products to the attending public is allowed. A health permit and proof of insurance is required for meats, cheeses and other high-protein products.
Printmaking/Graphics: original works created using traditional printmaking methods including lithograph, block, serigraph, etc. as well as computer-generated art.
Sculpture: three-dimensional original work done in any medium.
Toys: hand-made toys of any medium. Water balloon yo-yos and marshmallow shooters are not permitted.
Wood: original works in wood that are hand-tooled, machine-worked, turned or carved; excludes jewelry.
All cancellations must be made on or before August 11, 2017. Any accepted artist who cancels from the show prior to August 11 will be entitled to a refund, less a $50 processing fee, provided the space is filled by another accepted artist.
Thank you for your interest in the 2017 Sidewalk Arts Festival. We look forward to reviewing your application!
Telephone number: 605.367.7397 x 2348
Fax number: 605.367.7399
Attn: Sidewalk Arts Festival
301 S. Main Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
The following policies and regulations have been established by the Sidewalk Arts Festival to ensure quality and integrity of process, presentation and patron experience:
• $25 Non-refundable application fee - payable via ZAPPlication
• $240 Booth fee – if accepted, make checks payable to WPMI.
Once accepted, BOOTH FEES MUST BE MAILED, NOT PROCESSED ONLINE
• $40 Electricity fee – MUST BE INCLUDED WITH THE BOOTH FEE
• Each exhibitor will be provided a 12 by 12 foot space (approx.)
• Booths are assigned in advance of the Festival and restricted to the juried artist(s) and their work: however, the Festival Coordinators reserve the right to add additional artist areas such as Emerging Artists or other specialty areas in the show if deemed appropriate to the overall growth and development of the Festival.
• Invited artists are urged to accept the Festival’s invitation and pay for their booth space as soon as they receive an invitation notification.
• Location requests are not guaranteed.
• Artists must provide all display materials, including protection from sun, wind and rain.
• The event takes place on a paved surface, which does not allow for anchoring of any supports into the ground. Structures should be built to withstand strong winds & crowds. Please bring an adequate amount of weight to secure your tent/canopy in case of weather.
• Wi-Fi is not available.
• All vendors must occupy only the amount of space they indicate on the application. If you exceed this space, you will be required to purchase another booth, if available. All booth exhibitors must confine doing business to their assigned space. Because of fire code regulations, you may not extend your booth display out into the street. Walking concessions/exhibits are also not allowed. The sale, posting, or distribution of any merchandise, products, promotional items, printed or written material except from the assigned fixed location is prohibited. Failure to comply will result in immediate forfeiture of all booth/exhibitor privileges without reimbursement.
• Set-up may take place beginning at 2 a.m. on the morning of the festival.
• For a limited time frame, loading vehicles may drive up to the booth space to unload.
• All vehicles must be off the streets by 7 a.m.
• Tear-down may not begin until 5 p.m. when the festival ends.
• For a limited time frame, loading vehicles may drive up to the booth space to load up products.
• NEW this year – Garbage Fine: A $50 fine will be charged to any vendor who leaves garbage behind
following the festival. Failure to comply may prevent vendors from future participation in the Festival.
VIEW LEGAL AGREEMENT|
APPLY TO THIS SHOW