Downtown Festival and Art Show 2017
Historic Downtown Gainesville (111 East University Ave)
Gainesville, Florida (South)
Event Dates: 11/11/17 - 11/12/17
Application Deadline: 5/4/17 Midnight EST
11 day(s) and 5 hour(s) remaining
(a booth shot is required)
Fee (Application Fee): $34.00
The City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, invites you to join a tradition of artistic excellence by submitting an artist application for the 36th Annual Downtown Festival & Art Show held November 11 & 12, 2017.
Celebrating its 36th year, the Downtown Festival & Art Show has earned a reputation as one of the Sunshine State’s most successful fine arts festivals. Recently ranked No. 24 among the best 100 fine arts shows in the country by Sunshine Artist magazine, the festival attracts more than 100,000 visitors to the streets of historic downtown Gainesville looking to purchase one-of-a-kind art work, and enjoy the blend of art, music and food at one of the state’s premier fall festivals.
Submit four digital files, three of individual pieces of work and one of your booth with work displayed. Images must represent the examples of current work to be exhibited and this includes your booth shot. Images should not contain people or distinguishable signage.
Artists may apply for either the competitive or non-competitive category. One medium is allowed per booth. A separate application must be completed for each medium in which you would like to apply.
Co-artists may be accepted for booths whose work is produced through collaboration.
Ceramics – All original clay and porcelain work (other than jewelry) is accepted in this category. No machine-made or mass produced work is permitted. If multiple pieces of the same design are displayed each piece must be signed.
Digital Art – Any original work for which the image was executed by the artist using a computer. Work in this category must be in limited editions, signed and numbered on archival quality materials.
Drawing/Printmaking – Works created using dry media including chalk, charcoal, pastels, pencil, wax crayon, etc. or from the fluid medium of inks and washes applied by pen or brush; printed works for which the artist’s hand manipulated the plates, stones or screens and which have been properly signed and numbered as a limited edition.
Fiber – All work crafted from fibers including basketry, embroidery, weaving, leatherwork, tapestry and papermaking. This can be wearable or non-wearable. No machine tooling, machine-screened patterns or other forms of mass production are permitted. No factory produced wearable items, regardless of additional modification or enhancement by the artist, may be exhibited.
Glass – Glass works that are functional (other than jewelry) or decorative by design and are kiln formed or have been crafted by glass blowing, molding or casting. No forms of mass production are permitted.
Jewelry – All jewelry whether the work is produced from metal, glass, clay, fiber, paper, plastic or other materials must be entered in this category. No commercial casts, molds or production studio work is allowed.
Metal – Artwork created through the forging, twisting and fabricating of various metals. Includes all non-sculptural, non-jewelry works crafted from metals. No production studio work is allowed.
Mixed Media 2D – Artwork that incorporates more than one type of physical material to produce such as paint, pencil, photography, drawing, etc.
Mixed Media 3D – Artwork that incorporates more than one type of physical material to produce 3-D objects.
Painting – Works created in oils, acrylics, watercolor, etc. are in this category.
Photography – Photographic prints made from the artist’s original image, which have been processed by that artist, or under the artist's direct supervision, are included in this category.
Sculpture – Three-dimensional original work done in any medium.
Wood – Original works in wood that are hand-tooled, machine-worked, turned or carved are accepted in the wood category.
A waitlist will be developed based on score. Artists who do not wish to be included on the waitlist, may indicate so on their application.
Application Deadline – May 4
Notification Sent – June 12
Accept Invitation and Pay Booth Fee – July 13
Artist Packets Sent – August 11
Best of Show 2D- $2,000
Best of Show 3D- $2,000
2 Judges’ Choice Awards- $1,000
5 Awards of Excellence- $1,000
15 Awards of Distinction - $600
- Morning Refreshments - Coffee and a continental breakfast are provided each morning until 9:45 a.m.
- Boxed Lunches - A complimentary boxed lunch and bottle of water will be hand delivered on Saturday and - Sunday to each booth.
- Artist Hospitality Center – Complimentary water and soft drinks daily.
- Booth Sitting Services - Festival volunteers provide needed breaks to artists throughout the day.
- Postcards - Festival artists may order free postcards to announce their participation and space number to regular and potential patrons.
Jurying is done on a point system designed to give priority to local artists. One extra point is given for Florida artists and two for Alachua County artists. In 2016, 70 percent of Downtown Festival artists were from Florida and approximately 22 percent of these artists were from Alachua County. The jurying committee consists of qualified, local fine artists. They look for quality, originality, salability, and technical expertise.
PURCHASE AWARD PROGRAM
Local businesses and individuals are encouraged to pledge in advance to buy art at the Festival.
PREVIOUS YEAR AWARD WINNERS
2016 award winners are automatically accepted. Although no application fee is required, applications must be received by May 4th to secure a booth spot. Please contact the Festival Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for your award winner application code.
- Artists MUST be present for the duration of the show: 10 am to 5 pm, on Saturday, November 11th and 10am to 4pm on Sunday, November 12, 2017. Work must be exhibited both days — no exceptions.
- All exhibits must be original work done by the exhibiting artists and offered for sale. Application for works of a collaborative nature must include all artists’ names.
- One booth per artist; a limited number of double booths may be approved upon availability.
- No dealers, agents, stand-ins or proxies allowed.
- Only work representative of the artists’ slides will be permitted. If exhibited works differ significantly from the images submitted, the artist may be asked to leave and will forfeit fees.
- Buy/sell or imports will not be tolerated.
- The Festival Committee reserves the right to prohibit display of work deemed unacceptable.
- Country crafts are non-competitive only.
- The following are not eligible for exhibit: works which are mass-produced or manufactured; made from commercial molds, kits or patterns; commercial displays; taxidermy; knitting; velvet painting; manufactured or kit jewelry; candles; ceramics cast from commercial molds and art supplies.
- Fees not paid by the deadline will result in forfeiture of booth to an artist on the wait list. Artists will be notified by mail of their assigned booth number and location, along with exhibitor information about check-in, set-up and parking, no later than August 11, 2017. Booth requests are fulfilled on a first paid, first served basis.
- Check-in and set-up is Saturday morning only beginning at 5 am— no set-up is allowed on Friday night. Each exhibiting artist must check-in and provide picture I.D. before set-up. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of booth.No changes in booth assignment will be allowed without the approval of Sunny Andrei, Festival Coordinator.
- All work and artist belongings, including chairs, must be contained within the assigned booth space. Exhibitors are responsible for keeping their area clean during and after the show. Belongings cannot be stored along the walls or patios of local businesses.
- Artists are required to display official card bearing their name, space number and city residence for the duration of the Festival.
- Each artist is responsible for collecting and reporting Florida sales tax on all sales made during the Festival.
All rules will be strictly enforced. Failure to follow these rules will result in ineligibility for this and future shows and any prize award.
Show committee reserves the right to make final interpretation of the rules.
ADDITIONAL FESTIVAL RULES
Parking and traffic are not permitted in show area after 9 am on Saturday. The streets will remain closed on Saturday night and security will be on site. Although artists, at their discretion, will be allowed to leave exhibitor displays on the street overnight on Saturday, the City of Gainesville is not liable for any loss. The streets will reopen to the public at 8 pm on Sunday evening, and all booths must be dismantled and removed by this time.
Bicycles, roller skates, rollerblades and skateboards are prohibited from the festival.
Dogs on leashes are permitted.
Application Fee: $34.00
Booth Fee (Competitive): $299.25
Booth Fee (Non-competitive): $273.75
DO NOT send your booth fee until notification of acceptance. Upon acceptance, you will be required to pay your booth fee of either via check (payable to the City of Gainesville, ATTN: Downtown Festival and Art Show, PO Box 490, Sta 30, Gainesville, FL 32327) or through Zapplication. Once artists are accepted into the show, the deadline to accept their invitation and pay for booth fees is July 13, 2017.
Each space measures 12' x 12'. Work must be contained within the assigned space. Only one exhibitor will be permitted in each space. There are a limited number of double booths available. A double booth must be requested at time of application and costs double the amount of a standard booth space.
All spaces are located on the streets of historic downtown Gainesville on either asphalt or brick road. Electrical access is not available.
There are 190 competitive booths and 50 non-competitive booths available.
BOOTH SET UP/TAKE DOWN
Festival site streets will close to the public vehicular traffic at 5:00 a.m. to enable set up. Artists may begin setting up on Saturday morning beginning at 5:00 a.m. and must be completely set-up by 9:15 a.m. Artist vehicles must be off the site by 9:00 a.m. Artists are expected to set up on time and remain open during festival hours. There is no set up allowed Friday.
The streets will remain closed on Saturday night and security will be on site. Although artists, at their discretion, will be allowed to leave exhibitor displays on the street overnight on Saturday, the City of Gainesville is not liable for any loss. Artists may enter the site with their vehicle after 5:30 p.m. on Saturday upon showing their participant pass to the officer on duty.
The festival closes at 4:00 p.m. for breakdown and clean up and the streets will open to artist traffic at 5:00 p.m. No vehicles will be permitted on the site until 5:00 p.m. Booths must be dismantled and removed by 8:00 p.m. Sunday, February 12th.
A completed application is a commitment to show. Should you choose not to exhibit, the booth fee may be refunded (less $20.00), provided that your cancellation request is made in writing and postmarked by September 1, 2017. Application fees are non-refundable.