Photographing Your Artwork
ZAPP® encourages artists to use professional photographers to document their artwork. Using professionals helps to ensure that your work is presented in the best way possible with proper lighting, image composition, and resolution of the digital images.
You can visit a list of professional photographers HERE. You may also wish to view the posts Tips for Photographing Your Artwork and How to Take a Great Booth Picture.
Formatting Your Images
Please follow these specifications in order to attach these images to your application successfully.
- Recommended Dimensions: 1920 pixels on the longest side.
Note: To assist artists who do not have images that are 1920 pixels or larger, the system will also accept images that are at least 1400 pixels on the longest side.
- File Format: Save all images as Baseline Standard JPEG. Do not save as a Progressive JPEG.
- File Size: JPEGs should be under 5 MB in size.
- Recommended Resolution: between 72 and 300 ppi
Note: You may need to lower your resolution if the file size is larger than 5 MB.
- Color space: Save images in RGB color space, preferably sRGB.
Photo Editing SoftwareYou can use also use photo editing programs to help you format your images successfully. The options below are some of the most widely used programs or software.
- Adobe Photoshop (the industry standard photographer’s tool set)
- Adobe Photoshop Elements (offers fewer tools than the full version, but allows for formatting images to ZAPP® specifications at a lower price point). VIEW TUTORIAL.
- Mac Users: The application “Preview” can format images to ZAPP® specifications.
- Online Resources: Sumo, Aviary, and Pixlr are some of the few websites out there that offer image editing right in the browser. VIEW TUTORIAL
Adding Black Borders
Black borders are no longer required. A majority of the events using ZAPP® jury using the monitor method, which displays artists' images on a black background. The system will automatically add black borders to images that are submitted to events using the projected jury method.
Uploading Images of Your Artwork to ZAPP®
After you have formatted your images, the next step is to upload them into your ZAPP® portfolio. Uploading images is a simple process and can be done by clicking on the "My Porfolio" tab. The "My Portfolio" page allows you to upload, edit, delete, and manage your artwork images. Follow these steps to upload your images:
- Click on the green "Add Sample" button.
- Select "Browse" or "Choose File" to locate the image on your computer.
- Answer if the image is your booth shot by choosing Yes or No from the drop-down.
- Complete the fields. The fields that are bold –– Image Title, Medium, Width, Height, Depth, and Price –– are all required.
- Press the "Submit" button at the bottom to begin uploading your image.