Scottsdale Arts Festival 2017
Scottsdale Civic Center
Scottsdale, Arizona (West)
Show Dates: 3/10/17 - 3/12/17
Application Deadline: 10/10/16 Midnight MST
The application deadline has passed.
(a booth shot is required)
Fee (Application Fee): $35.00
You can submit up to 2 applications for this show.
In a community renowned for its devotion to the arts, Scottsdale, Arizona has one arts festival that rises above them all. After four decades, the Scottsdale Arts Festival, held every March during the height of Scottsdale's tourist season, has established a solid reputation as the premiere arts festival in the Southwest. The Festival draws up to 25,000 visitors during the 3-day weekend and features the work of 170 artists. Voted as one of the top five favorite arts festivals by the readers of American Style Magazine and Art Fair SourceBook's "Elite 20" Fine Art Fairs for 2016, the Festival is set among the lush gardens and beautiful public art sculptures on the Scottsdale Civic Center Mall, the Festival delights art buyers with juried, gallery-quality fine arts and fine crafts, gourmet food trucks, children's art activities and entertainment.
Now in its 47th year, the Scottsdale Arts Festival has established itself as the finest event of its kind in the Southwest. Arizona’s glorious spring weather complements the park-like setting of the Festival, creating a wonderful environment that attracts up to 25,000 of metropolitan Phoenix, seasonal and year-round residents and tourists. The Festival’s main attraction is the juried fine art and fine craft showcased within an attractive and sophisticated cultural campus comprised of the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art and the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. The Festival also features live performances, gourmet food trucks, wine tastings, family art activities, and an online art auction with original works of art donated by Festival artists (donations optional). The Scottsdale Arts Festival is produced by the Scottsdale Cultural Council and proceeds from the event support the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art and the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts.
Each year, the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts develops and executes a comprehensive marketing plan for the Festival, which is designed to reach a broad range of visitors and residents interested in the arts, and to maximize sales for our participating artists. The plan features strategic advertising in a variety of media, including direct-mail, print, broadcast and online outlets, as well as public-relations and social-media campaigns.
The Scottsdale Arts Festival values artists and strives to make their exhibiting experience as enjoyable as possible.
- Complimentary continental breakfast, lunch and snacks are provided in a special Artist Hospitality suite.
- Roving booth sitters and runners.
- Complimentary Festival passes for returning buyers.
- Discounted hotel rates.
- Images of each artists work on the Scottsdale Arts Festival website.
- Complimentary admission to the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art.
- Overnight roving security is provided. However, no responsibility is assumed by the Scottsdale Arts Festival for the loss of exhibitors’ artwork or equipment.
Up to 170 artists will exhibit in the 2017 festival including the fourteen invited 2016 Festival award winners.
- The jury view projected images on a 12 foot screen using state-of-the-art projectors and images direct from the digital files submitted by the artists
- The Jury is comprised of three art professionals – working artists, curators, collectors and gallerists.
- The criteria for selection are excellence in concept, quality, workmanship and aesthetics.
- The jury assigns points from 1 – 7 (with 4 excluded) to each five-image presentation; points are totaled and those artists with the highest total in each category are selected to exhibit.
- A wait list of juried artists is maintained for each category
An on-site panel of judges selects one Best of Show artist to receive a $1000 award, acceptance to the 2018 show and a complimentary booth space. Additional merit awards are given to one artist in each category and these artists are invited to the 2018 Festival with their application fee waived.
- Applicants’ work must be of original design and personal execution.
- Images must accurately represent the artist’s work that will be exhibited. Artists must be present during the entire three-day festival. Representatives may not attend in place of the artist. Commercial agents, dealers or manufacturers are not eligible.
- Collaborating artists may apply to participate, but only joint work may be shown and sold. Otherwise, each artist must apply for their own/separate space. Names of collaborating artists must appear on all application materials. If artists apply as collaborating artists, each artist must be on site for the Festival. Only the work of the contracted artist may be displayed and sold.
- The work must be representative of the images selected through the jury process. No kits or works that are produced from commercial plans will be accepted. No posters, postcards, note cards or promotional products.
- One image must be of the booth display; entries will not be considered without a booth image. The booth image is used to judge overall appearance, professionalism, consistency of work and will assist in the determination of booth placement in the most advantageous location. Please submit an outdoor booth image that does not contain people or artist identification. Artwork images may not contain signatures that will identify the artist.
- For jewelry and other small items, a single image may consist of groupings of up to three pieces.
- Images by invited artists will be used by the Scottsdale Arts Festival for marketing, publicity and on-site judging.
- Signed and numbered limited edition reproductions of artworks are allowed. Artists must disclose limited edition process on prints. Editions cannot exceed 150 prints. Original art must occupy more than 80 percent of the booth.
- Artists may submit applications in multiple categories. A separate application and fee are required for each category entered.
- Participating artists are responsible for ensuring that their artwork on display is in compliance with state and federal laws regarding the sale of Indian arts and crafts. For information regarding Arizona law, please refer to Title 44, Chapter 9, Article 2.1, Statutes 44-1231 - 44-1231.05 (Fraudulent Practices in the Sale of Indian Arts and Crafts) located at http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=44.
- Pets are not allowed with the exception of trained service animals.
Ceramics: Original functional and non-functional works created from clay, porcelain, stone ware, or earthenware. Factory-produced work is not permitted.
Digital Art: This category includes any original work for which the original image, or the manipulation of other source material, was executed by the artist using a computer. Work in this category must be in limited editions, signed and numbered. Traditional photographs taken through a digital camera should apply in the photography category.
Drawing: Works that are drawn by hand incorporating ink, charcoal, pastel, pencil etc. are entered in this category.
Fiber: Works created from fibers including basketry, weaving, papermaking, leather and fine wearables. Factory-produced wearables are not permitted.
Glass: Mass or factory produced work is not permitted. Glass jewelry must be submitted in the jewelry category.
Jewelry: All work that is jewelry must be entered in this category regardless of the materials used. All work must be handcrafted by the artist, no factory production is permitted.
Metal: Functional and non-sculptural works incorporating metal are accepted in this category. Jewelry incorporating metal must apply in the jewelry category.
Mixed Media: This category includes works, both 2D and 3D, that incorporates more than one type of physical material to produce. Includes non-sculptural work as determined by the artist.
Painting: Works incorporating oil, acrylic, watercolor etc. are accepted in this category.
Photography: Photographs made from the artist’s original image and printed either by the artist or under his or her direction are permitted. The photographic process must be displayed and each edition must be signed and numbered. Photographs printed on canvas are considered reproductions, and must be marked as such while on display.
Printmaking: Hand-pulled original works from a block, plate, stone or other object are acceptable in the printmaking category. Prints must be properly signed and numbered as limited editions.
Sculpture: Three-dimensional works incorporating any material that are carved, modeled, constructed or cast are included in this category.
Wood: Works incorporating wood are included in this category.
- The application fee is $35 per entry. Fees are non-refundable if your application does not meet the rules and regulations listed.
- The participation fee for a 10' x 10’ space is $475 and a 10' x 20' double space is $950. There are a limited number of double booth, corner and open air spaces are available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Exhibitors may use their own tents and tables or rent tents, tables and chairs from the Scottsdale Arts Festival.
- Space assignments are made based upon booth images, exhibit flow and artists’ requirements. The use of a location is restricted to the artist to whom it is assigned.
- Booth and rental fees are paid directly to the Scottsdale Arts Festival via Visa, Mastercard, and check.
- Juried artists, sponsors and food vendors are the only booths permitted at the Scottsdale Arts Festival.
October 10, 2016 - Application deadline
November 18, 2016 - Notification of jury results
December 2, 2016 - Participation fees due
January 2, 2017 - Cancellation deadline to receive one-half of the prepaid participation fee with an additional $30 administrative fee.
March 9, 2017 - Registration and load-in begins at 1 pm
The Scottsdale Cultural Council, a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) arts management organization, administers the arts and cultural affairs of the City of Scottsdale, Arizona and manages the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, Scottsdale Public Art Program and the Scottsdale Arts Festival.
Thank you for your interest in the 2017 Scottsdale Arts Festival, we look forward to your application!