Gulf Breeze Celebrates the Arts 2017
Gulf Breeze, Florida (South)
Event Dates: 3/11/17 - 3/12/17
Application Deadline: 12/5/16 Midnight CST
The application deadline has passed.
(a booth shot is required)
Fee (Application Fee): $30.00
You can submit up to 4 applications for this show.
On Saturday, March 11th and Sunday, March 12th, 2017, the City of Gulf Breeze and Gulf Breeze Arts, Inc. (GBAI) will present the 23rd Annual Fine Arts Festival “Gulf Breeze Celebrates the Arts.” The Festival is a juried fine arts and fine crafts festival that brings together quality local, regional, and national artists to Gulf Breeze, Florida. The two-day family event is free to the public and includes over 140 artists.
Gulf Breeze is beautiful in the spring and lies conveniently between the City of Pensacola and Pensacola Beach, with easy access to the Gulf of Mexico's best beaches and a multitude of water activities. Gulf Breeze has become well known for its annual "Celebrates the Arts Festival." This festival is one of the premier cultural events for our community, and we are excited this year to hold our 23rd Annual Event!
Proceeds from the Gulf Breeze Celebrates the Arts Festival provide college student art scholarships and supplemental funds for local elementary, middle, and high school art programs frequently facing budget issues. Since the festival’s inception, our scholarship endowment fund has grown to over $70,000. Gulf Breeze Arts, Inc. is a not for profit organization whose mission is to support and encourage the next generation of artists.
Applications Open: August 5, 2016
Application Deadline: December 5, 2016
Jurying Starts: December 12, 2016
Jurying Ends: December 17, 2016
Send Artist Notifications: January 9, 2017
Accept/Purchase Deadline: January 16, 2017
Setup: Friday, March 10, 2017 [after 5:00pm]
- Saturday, March 11, 2017 [9:00am – 5:00pm; followed by Artist Reception and Award Ceremony]
- Sunday, March 12, 2017 [10:00am – 5:00pm]
JUDGING AND ARTIST AWARDS
- Painting - Oil, Acrylic
- Graphics - Etching, Serigraph, Woodcut, Pastel, Drawing, Digital, etc.
- Sculpture - Relief or 3-dimensional form
- Mixed Media
- Fiber and Leather
- Wood - Original works that are hand-tooled, machine-worked, turned or carved
Judging will begin at 9:15 a.m. on Saturday, March 11, 2017. Cash prizes total $7,000.
Additionally, local businesses contribute approximately $5,000 in purchase awards. Purchase awards also include a designated ribbon for the artist to hang in his or her booth.
- Best of show $1000
- Four Awards of Excellence $500
- Eight Awards of Distinction $300
- Eight Awards of Honor $200
Note: "Corner" booth spaces are only made available to those artists applying via Zapplication (after acceptance by the Jury).
Application via ZAPP® (www.zapplication.com):
- Register to create an account by entering basic contact information and creating a username and password.
- Note: All applications must be completed and signed by the Artist applying for the Festival and NOT by his or her agents, representatives, employees, or other individuals.
- Prepare images of artwork according to the image preparation specifications on the ZAPP® website.
- Upload digital images of your artwork to your ZAPP® image portfolio.
- Apply to “Gulf Breeze Celebrates the Arts 2017.”
- Complete entry fields and upload your selected images.
- Submit your application.
- Pay the $30 application (jury) fee (separate application/jury fee required for each medium category) online with a credit card via Zapplication or mail in a check (payable to Gulf Breeze Arts, Inc.) to: Gulf Breeze Arts, Inc, PO Box 52, Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562-0640
- After the Jury period, check your e-mail for notification that your application has been accepted or declined. You can also check application status by logging into your ZAPP® account and viewing your MyZapplications page.
Application via hardcopy/mail (www.gulfbreezearts.com):
- If you intend to request a “corner” booth space, you must apply via www.zapplication.org
- Each artist must submit an application and a total of four (4) images on a CD in .jpg format. Three (3) images must represent the type of work that will be displayed and sold. Images must be of current work. The fourth image must show the booth display with work visible.
- Note: All applications must be completed and signed by the Artist applying for the Festival and NOT by their agents, representatives, employees, or other individuals.
- All images should be a minimum of 1024 x 768 pixels in resolution (higher resolution OK).
- Submit your application, including a CD, with your images. Put your name on the CD!
- Choose only one category on the entry form that most closely reflects submitted work.
- If applying in two separate medium categories, separate applications must be submitted along with jury fees for each category. Only one booth fee is required if both mediums are to be displayed in a single booth. If you apply in two categories you may only display media that has been juried-in.
- After the Jury period has ended, check your e-mail for notification that your application has been accepted or declined.
A panel (in a blind jury process) will review the work of each applicant. The identities of artists will not disclosed. The jury will be comprised of three or more working artists or art professionals. The work will be juried based on artistic excellence, originality, execution of design, technique and craftsmanship, creative use of materials, and aesthetic qualities. Each artist’s images will be viewed simultaneously and must accurately represent work to be exhibited and sold. The jury will have the prerogative to reassign categories as they deem appropriate.
DURING THE SHOW
- Food vendors will be present on site with a variety of food and drinks.
- Volunteer booth sitters are available during Festival hours.
- Ample parking adjacent to the festival site is available, including RV/camper parking.
ARTIST RULES/SHOW POLICIES
- The Jury Fee is non-refundable. An application is a commitment to exhibit if accepted. No booth fee refunds will be made after February 12, 2017.
- All work must be original, designed and executed by the accepted artist.
- Artists must be present with their work both days of the festival. No stand-in or proxy exhibitors will be allowed to represent the artist. Photo identification is required at check-in to assure compliance.
- Absolutely no sales of purchased art or crafts are allowed (no buy-sell).
- No commercially produced work or works made from commercially produced patterns or castings, and no items made from kits, embellished items or mass produced items, (regardless of enhancements) will be permitted.
- If applying in two separate medium categories, separate applications must be submitted along with jury fees for each category. Only one booth fee is required if both mediums are to be displayed in a single booth.
- If you apply in two categories, you may only display media that has been juried-in.
- A two-person team producing a single product is regarded as a single exhibitor. Sharing a single booth is not allowed; one single space per artist or team only.
- Inconsistencies between work represented for jury and works presented will result in dismissal from the Festival.
- All works to be judged for prizes must be original and appropriately displayed; no work in portfolios will be judged.
- All art exhibited must be available for sale.
- Each exhibitor is responsible for collecting Florida Sales Tax (6.5%) on all sales.
- Security will be provided on Festival grounds. Although care will be taken to avoid hazards to artwork, neither Gulf Breeze Arts, Inc nor the City of Gulf Breeze will be held responsible for any loss or damage to displays or artwork.
- No pets are allowed on Festival grounds.
(The following works will NOT be accepted.)
GBA shall have the sole, exclusive and final authority to determine a work’s acceptability for display at Celebrates the Arts 2017.
- Art produced by, or reproduced from, any artist other than the applicant(s);
- Commercially produced works/merchandise or works made from commercially produced patterns, castings, items made from kits, embellished items or mass-produced items, regardless of enhancements;
- Works produced from patterns or kits;
- Items cast from pre-manufactured molds;
- Silk-screen T-shirts; and
- Clothing that is not hand-crafted.
- Jury Fee $30 (Non-refundable)
- Booth Fee $165 (includes Florida sales tax; refunded in full if not accepted by Jury)
- Double Booth: $330 (Also, required if reserving “grass” area next to primary booth)
- Special Location (corner) charges – ALL REQUESTS FIRST COME-FIRST SERVE
- CORNER REQUESTS WILL ONLY BE HONORED IF YOU APPLY FOR THE FESTIVAL via www.zapplication.org
- Prime Corner: $25
- School-Side Corner: $20
- Walkway Corner: $15
If you receive notification of acceptance to the Festival, then you may either pay your $165 booth fee (+ corner fees if requested) on-line via Zapplication or mail your check [made payable to “Gulf Breeze Arts, Inc.”] to:
Gulf Breeze Arts, Inc.
PO Box 52
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562-0640
[Please be sure to include the accepted artist’s name on the check]
2016 CASH AWARD WINNERS
"2016 Gulf Breeze Celebrates the Arts" cash award winners are exempt from a jury fee and image submission requirements. These artists are automatically accepted upon receipt of their completed application and $165 booth fee (plus corner fees if applicable).
ARTIST CANCELLATION REFUNDS
A booth fee refund equal to 75% of the booth fee paid will be provided upon artist notification to the Festival Director prior to February 1st, 2017. If notification is received after February 1st, 2017 but prior to February 13, 2017, a booth fee refund equal to 50% of the booth fee paid will be provided. Notification must be made to the director at 850-529-2051 or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Booth space is12’x12’ ground space allowing for a 10’x10’ tent (maximum). Artists provide their own display booth, racks and/or tables in order to display their work in an outdoor environment. Electricity is not available for artist’s use. The use of generators by artists is not allowed, although portable batteries may be used if desired. The Festival is held on an asphalt parking lot in front of Gulf Breeze High School on US Highway 98. Only weights can be used to secure tents. Nothing (e.g., stakes, nails, screws, etc) may be driven into the asphalt. Demonstrations are encouraged.